Tuberculosis (TB) is one of the world’s deadliest diseases:
• One fourth of the world’s population is infected with TB.
• In 2016, 10.4 million people around the world became sick with TB disease. There were 1.7 million TB-related deaths worldwide.
• TB is a leading killer of people who are HIV infected
• If TB is recognized early, effective treatment can be provided as TB disease is both preventable and curable.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Interferon-gamma Release Assays (IGRAs) are preferred for TB testing in most risk groups, including:
• Those likely to be infected with TB.
• Anyone with low or intermediate risk of disease progression.
• Those for whom it has been decided that testing for latent TB infection is warranted.
In addition, IGRAs are strongly recommended in those who are also bacille Calmett-Guerin (BCG)-vaccinated, or unlikely to return to have their Tuberculin Skin Test (TST) read.
UnityPoint Health Laboratories currently offers the QuantiFERON-TB Gold (3 tube) assay and are excited to announce that effective June 25th, we will be offering the new QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus (1 tube) assay.
The new QuanitFERON-TB Gold (1 tube) assay:
• Uses the same principles and test procedures as the current assay but is optimized with tuberculosis-specific antigens that elicit both CD8+ and CD4+ T cell responses –enabling a more comprehensive assessment of cell-mediated immune response to TB infection.
• The single lithium-heparin collection tube option offers the most convenience to clients. After the single lithium-heparin specimen is collected, it is stored refrigerated until it can be transported refrigerated to Pathology Laboratory. The single lithium-heparin refrigerated specimen must reach Pathology Laboratory within 24 hours of collection.
Specimen Collection: Collect a minimum of 5.0 mL of blood into the single lithium-heparin collection tube using the QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus Kit provided by Pathology Laboratory. After collection, keep the sample refrigerated until it can be transported to Pathology Laboratory.
Processing and Transport: DO NOT CENTIFUGE - Send the original tube refrigerated same day to Pathology Laboratory. Samples must arrive at Pathology Laboratory within 24 hours of collection. Note: Specimen may be held at room temperature for no more than 15 minutes before it needs to be refrigerated.
Ordering Information: TB Testing by Quantiferon-Gold TB [EPIC LAB2820/Sunquest Code TBGP]
Performed: Monday and Thursday on Day Shift
CPT Code: 86480